Our Alliance approach » Local Business Group
Local Business Group
Over the next 20 – 30 years the Stirling City Centre will transform from a local retail centre to a strategic business district offering diverse employment for 25,000 people. The realization this vision relies upon support from the private, community and government sectors, requiring a large investment in transport and built infrastructure and changes to landuse within the city centre core area.
The involvement of the private sector which includes investors, property and business owners is needed to ensure good planning and commercially feasible outcomes and a smooth transition period.
The business sector has been working with the Alliance since its formation in August 2008 and in September 2009 a business leadership group formed to:
- provide assistance to improve the process to provide the necessary surety to developers and business owners; and
- provide timelines and ensure commercially feasible outcomes. (Stirling Alliance Business Leadership Group terms of Reference Sept 2009)
In September 2010 a business breakfast held with the assistance of the Stirling Business Association was attended by more than 120 local business owners. The event theme was 'Working Together' and provided a project update and sought to broaden the membership and participation of the Alliance.
The group agreed that the objectives of the Business Leadership Group are:
- City’s economic identity and role within the regional context – business clusters
- Economic growth, investment and promotion
- Employment – diversity, youth employment and skill alignment with resident workforce
- Business development, diversity and retention, innovation
- Transition strategy and social entrepreneurship
A survey conducted after the breakfast showed there is high level support for the Stirling City Centre with the main areas of interest for the group being environment, parking, retail, public transport.
Local businesses are encouraged to get involved. Visit the get involved page for more information on how to register for future events and to receive quarterly business updates.